Sunday, October 26, 2014

Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Spooky Eyes Nail Art

Spooky eyes nail art by @chalkboardnails

There's still time to squeeze in a few more Halloween nail art looks! This look is reminiscent of my Simple Spooky Eyes design from 2011, but with a bit more complexity added and a few twists. Not to mention, quite an upgrade in quality! This is also serving as my entry into the JINsoon Halloween nail art contest.

Spooky eyes nail art by @chalkboardnails

Nail polishes used:
Formula X Dark Matter
Formula X Pyrotechnic
OPI My Paprika Is Hotter Than Yours
Zoya Arizona
China Glaze Happy Go Lucky
OPI My Vampire is Buff
Essie Matte About You

I started by painting my nails black. For the eye nails, I painted the eye shapes in various shades of red, orange, and yellow, and then added the black slits afterwards.

For the candle nails, I used the bubble technique for the glow on the candle, and then freehanded the rest. The gradient on the candle was created by mixing varying ratios of cream and black. I finished with a layer of quick dry topcoat and then a layer of matte topcoat.

Spooky eyes nail art by @chalkboardnails

I have to admit - though unintentional, this design does remind me quite a bit of the old Nickelodeon show Are You Afraid of the Dark?. I think it's the single flame in the darkness, though in the show opening it's a match. That show always scared the bejesus out of me. I have distinct memories of being terrified of the one where the kids try to use the silver spoon to ward off a spirit, but come to find out it's actually steel so the spirit keeps approaching.

Related Posts

Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Spooky Eyes Nail Art
4/ 5
Oleh